- Start: November 9, 2017 8:00 am
- End: November 12, 2017 8:00 pm
General Presentation Of The Festival
To celebrate the Kingdom of Morocco’s distinct culture, the Moroccan Association of Ibn Battuta is organizing, travel and cultural event entitled “Travelers, the Ambassadors of Peace”. The second edition of “The International Festival of Ibn Battuta” is scheduled from 9th to 12th of November 2017 and will take place in Tangier, Morocco.
This huge event promoting peace through travel will include a carnival, conferences, forums, and exhibitions. The International Ibn Battuta Festival will feature travel literature, world-renowned explorers, highlighting the remarkable story of Ibn Battuta himself. This happening set to stage some art and literary masterpieces, as well as exciting social activities, will surely spark the traveler in you.
As Ibn Battuta said: “Traveling—it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller”, this unique event will make you travel around the world learning from the past and current travelers’
Memories of the first edition of the International Festival of Ibn Battuta
The first edition of the International Festival of Ibn Battuta that took place in Tangier from February 23 until February 25, 2017 was a successful event thanks to many activities that were organized in all the corners of the city: Conferences, Music Parade, Travelers Awards Ceremony & Tributes, Scientific Panels, Musical Show & Closing Dinner.
International Festival of Ibn Battuta 2nd Edition – Tangier, Morocco
The Moroccan Association of Ibn Battuta, which is, in fact, a universal one as it was founded to primarily promote the illustrious character of the first traveler in the world is presenting a unique event in the world where the history of past travelers and the adventures of current ones will meet. In spite of the fact that Ibn Battuta was born and buried in Tangier but he represents the humanity thanks to his unique contribution, particularly as one of the first pioneers of travel literature. It is worth noting the fact that our unconditional commitment to promoting the legendary character of Ibn Battuta has intangible horizons. Therefore, we would be honored to share the first plans for the coming festival.
We would be glad if you could possibly join this world event entitled ‘ Travelers, ambassadors of peace’
1st day – Thursday 09 November : Opening Day
- 4.00 pm – 7.00 pm: Official opening ceremony of the second edition of the “Ibn Battouta International Festival” under the theme “Travelers, Ambassadors of Peace” at the Ahmed Boukmakh Cultural Center Tangier city.
- 19H00 – 21H00: Opening of the exhibitions of plastic art and history at Ahmed Boukmakh cultural center.
- 21H00-00H00: Arab-Andalusian evening to celebrate peace.
2nd day – 10/11/2017: African Day for Peace promotion
- 15h30 – 18h00: Theatrical play « Le terrorism at the door » presented by the ZAAL group from the Jordan Kingdom, followed by a public debate at Beckett salle.
- 15H30-18H00: Conference “Water and man: peace and coexistence” by the Mohamed VI Museum for the Civilization of Water at Technopark.
- 16H00 – 18H30: Conference “The legacy of Ibn Battuta” by the scientific group Anouar with an intervention on “The image of the Arabian Gulf through the trip of Ibn Battuta” at Ahmed Boukmakh cultural center.
- 18h30 – 19h30: Conference “The journey of discovering your self” at University of New England.
- 16H00: Street Art and artistic performances.
- 21h00- 00h00: African night for the promotion of peace at the Ahmed Boukmakh cultural center.
3rd day – 11/11/2017: Public Day for Peace
- 10H00 – 11H30: Theater piece “Amirat El Ouard” by the Forsaty Assadaka Association at Technopark.
- 10H00 – 12H30: Youth Conference at University Of New England.
- 14H30 – 16H00: Workshops for Young at University of New England.
- 14H00 -16H00: Conference “Living together in a world out of dialogue: What role for culture and interculturality?” By Ali Sedjari at the Tangier Chamber of Commerce.
- 14H00-16H00: Conference “Travel between the Arab World and Latin America” hosted by the “Council for Arab-Latin American Relations (CARLAC)” and an intervention on “The Immigration and Integration of Arabs in Mexico “organized by the Mexican Embassy in Morocco at the University of New England.
- 19h-20h30 role of women in strengthening the image of Morocco abroad
- University of new england.
- 10H00 – 12H00: Conference “Between writings and the life of the great Spanish writer Juan Goytisolo” animated by the publishing house and the infréquentables at the Ahmed Boukmakh cultural center.
- 16h00 -17h30 michlah conference إبن بطوطة و إكتشاف الأفاق ودوره في نشر التسامح وسلم ومكارم الأخلاق.
- 21H00 – 00H00: Musical concert at Ahmed Boukmakh cultural center.
4thday – 12/11/2017: Closing of the festival and socio-cultural activities.
- 9h30 – 13h00: Children’s show at the Ahmed Boukmakh room and screening of a short film.
- 10H00 – 12H00: The carnival of the union.
- 14H00 -15H30: Theater piece “EL’bouhali The jawal” presented by the Tawassoul association in the Beckett room.
- 17H00 – 18H00: Projection of a film about traveling.
The Ibn Battuta Carnival
A carnival in partnership with schools and youth centers as well as folkloric troops from around the world will make a passage in several places in Tangier and thus participate actively, in joy and music, in the promotion of the character of Ibn Battuta and other great travelers of the history. The multicultural presence in this big walk in the main street of Tangier will promote peace and tolerance. The main goal of this international carnival is to show to the world that humans have different cultures but one only civilization.
The native city of Ibn Battuta will have the opportunity to celebrate the legacy of this traveler by hosting a show in which musicians and groups, from different countries, will play their impressive talents, with performances from different countries from all over the world. The musicians will represent the countries visited by the famous traveler by providing a lovely and magical evening of high-quality entertainment. The sacred music from the different countries will make guests travel.
The association has a lovely collection of paintings form known artists from different countries. Also, a huge painting representing the journey of Ibn Battuta will be exhibited. It took a Spanish artist about a year to learn about the ‘Rihla’ of Ibn Battuta in order to describe his travel adventures in an artistic painting. Many items, books, and maps will be also exhibited in order to take us back to the medieval times.
Ibn Battuta Movie
“A journey to Mecca”
In this second edition, the city of Tangier will have the exclusivity to screen the documentary about Ibn battuta’s journey. This outdoor screening will be a unique experience for visitors to come together in a beautiful setting to enjoy the life of this incredible traveler.
Like what was done in Marrakesh and Rabat, Tangier can have its own street art around the theme of world-known travelers. The walls of chosen building will be painted with representations of these travelers.
Since Tangier is the hometown of Ibn Battuta and to many international famous writers and artists, street art will also show the international travelers of the history.
The native city of Ibn Battuta will have the opportunity to celebrate the legacy of this traveler by hosting a soiree in which musicians and groups, from different countries, will showcase their impressive talent, with a mix of solo and small ensemble performances. The musicians will represent the countries visited by the famous traveler by providing a lovely and magical evening of high-quality entertainment.
The festival will include for the first time plays. The theme of the play will retrace IbnBattauta’s journey. Talents will be gathered in one place in order to honour this traveler and his years of pilgrimage will be put under the spotlight.The play will take place in Tangier’s theater or one of its cultural spaces, and could be done possibly in various episodes taking time for the duration of the festival.